Sunday, February 8, 2015

New Blog Name: Inspired By Dr. Judy

New Blog Name: Inspired By Judy

I've recently changed my blog name from The Beauty Historian to The Glamour Gladiator. This move was inspired by none other than my mother, Dr. Judy Hankins. Before I was born, when I was just a thought a young woman named Judy Hankins wished for me. She had already had three sons and wanted a daughter. So along I came, late but I came, having felt her desire through the cosmos. But her delivery of me wasn't easy. As a matter of fact she was in labor three whole days and three whole nights but arrive I did-dead. 

This ball of fire named Judy poured all of her light, strength, and energy into her daughter, ME. And finally I cried out letting the world know I was here. But it still didn't get easy because I had been born a premie and was only two pounds. But ever the doting and loving Mother she poured her tears and energy and her gusto into me and now I'm 5'10 and healthy as the THOROUGHBRED that I am! 

Along the way Dr. Judy wrote me a poem entitled 'Little Girl All Grown Up' later renamed 'Otaymah'. The poem was published in her book "This Is Not A Dream But A Love Story"; a series of poems that is really a deeply moving love story (She self published back before self publishing was all the rage. Acting as a maverick in her field). 

Here is the poem 'Otaymah':

Little girl, you have become a woman too soon. 

And there was so much I should have taught you. 

Things like life's many hardships. 

Life's disappointments, and how to make them roll off your back without leaving scars in your heart. 

Things like lost friendships. Through death or lies. 

Little daughter, all grown up. 

There was so much I missed telling you about this cold, cruel world outside my protection. 

I hope, as you walk down life and life's many lanes. That you remember the art of loving, giving, and sharing. 

Remember to always show loving kindness to your fellow man and woman, and special care to your chosen man. 

Little daughter, all grown up. 

I didn't know how to say or teach you so many things. 

So, I'm hoping my love showed you. 

And show me it did! But most of all my mother has shown me strength, kindness, and how to be a woman through her actions! I have never woken up to anything else in the morning except music playing and her pumping iron. I've never had an unhealthy or unbalanced meal that wasn't vegetable and raw foods based in her kitchen. I have yet to call on her and she be unprepared and ungroomed. I've even tried coming to her house at 3 am! Only to find her awake, poised, hair neatly combed, lipstick on, with a book in her hand, wearing freshly pressed clothes because her mothers intuition had told her of my coming arrival. Others have tried to catch her off her square too! Only to be welcomed and met with a full face of the most well blended makeup, ladylike decorum, and a warm meal. My mother is my example. Letting me know that true love does endureth. But it is a fight to be oneself!

You see Dr. Judy Hankins also taught me that no matter what I'd always be last on the ladder in these Americas; because I am a Black woman. People see me as so many stereotypes before they see the actual me. Due to ignorance and times gone by I'd have to fight for what I want and need. I'd have to be a warrior. AND A WARRIOR IS WHAT I AM! I fight for my rights, my health, and my beauty. I fight for a great quality of life and not just to survive-to live. I fight because she has shown me that every curl on my head is a work of art and my black skin glows while others try to tarnish it, and beautiful it is, beautiful I AM. 

I fight to be myself, fully, and happily. 

I am The Glamour Gladiator!
I am The Glam Warrior! 
I am Otaymah Bonds. 





No comments:

Post a Comment